Pages

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Stiletto Shoe cakes, classes and fresh starts

So I've spent my evening going through Google Reader and unsubscribing from any and all blogs that haven't been updated in over 6 months. I'm finicky about icons on my phone, and can't stand when those little numbers sit there taunting me and telling me I have 19 emails to read, 2 texts to check, 3 apps to update, or - worse - OVER 1000 blog updates to read. So I decided it was time for a cleanup.

UNFORTUNATELY - one of the blogs on the list was mine! (Yes, I follow my own blog to make sure everything's laid out correctly when I share it, I promise I don't count myself when celebrating my reader success!) So having now successfully cleaned up and categorized my Google Reader (nerd, I know) it seems like it is now well and truly time to get the Stiletto Studio Cakes blog back on its photo sharing feet. Starting right now, just over a year since the Mr Men cake I shared last October, and now with a full-time business, successful cake decorating classes, two expos, and an engagement under my belt, I have lots to share!


But then, that's a LOT to take in in one single blog entry. So let's start somewhere simpler.

As a result of my stall at the Womens Lifestyle Expo in August this year, I (finally) have an explanation for my business name! 

For those of you who don't know me personally, I'm a shoe fanatic, and I'm regularly asked - why "Stiletto Studio"? (Why not, I say? but anyway). 
Hard to explain without going into specific shoe-obsession details, but NOW, I can just say 

LOOK:


 That's why.


Based very loosely on this gorgeous cake originally by Elite Cake Designs (I think - I've actually seen it various places, so do let me know if it was originally by someone else!) this was easily one of the most stressful and finicky experiences of my life


I like to think I have a pretty high tolerance and patience threshold when it comes to the finer joys of cake decorating - individually striping 300 sugar bees - no problem! wrist-achingly piping 4 tiers of buttercream roses on a wedding cake (before awkwardly sticking my knee into it trying to manoeuvre it from trolley to stand at the Wellington Wedding Show) no problem!
But WAITING - waiting is not a gift of mine, and this gorgeous specimen of a shoe required me to sufficiently stuff it with paper towels and cotton balls and wads of glad wrap, shape it how I wanted it, and WALK AWAY, hoping for the best


Needless to say, I did not wait anywhere NEAR long enough for the shoe to actually support those lovely loops of red sparkly sugar, and the whole thing collapsed on me a number of times during construction. But that aside (and who's looking that closely anyway, right?) I was pretty excited with how it turned out - and so were the 100's of Wellington Women who asked me to make them one!


Since then, I have started teaching a Stiletto Shoe cake and cakebox class - with a simpler and less stressful shoe! - and sugar shoes are quickly becoming my new favourite thing. Since this one, I've done LOTS of different heels (including a hand painted leopard print one that just about made my year) and lots of women have been through my class and taken away their own sugary heeled masterpieces.

Like this amazing shoe and shoebox made by a COMPLETE beginner!


June it was such a pleasure to have you and your Mum along, and I STILL get comments about your gorgeous cake! Can't wait to have you along again soon.


Well, I feel like that is enough of an update for now - it's been a year, best not totally slam your caking senses after so long. If you'd like to learn how to make your OWN gorgeous sugar shoe, visit the Stiletto Studio Facebook page or website, and keep your eyes peeled for Christmas classes coming VERY soon! 

Next post - gum paste people modelling, and a Sailor Moon cake to take you back a decade or so...

B xx


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on your success! A wonderful blog and exceptionally excellent business idea. Love the photographs and the stiletto cake : )

    ReplyDelete