Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Too many cake pops


I'm starting to get quite a collection of baking related photos. Funnily enough, since first discovering http://www.bakerella.com/, I sense that my family is sloooowly getting sick of eating cake pops - luckily I'm also in the mood for cupcakes, brownies, and party planning!

These are just a few examples of the cake pops (I should say cake bites - they originated as cake pops, but became pop-less BITES when I realised I haven't got the hang of getting the sticks to STAY in the cake) that I've made over the last couple of weeks. A lot of time was spent dramatically throwing away burnt chocolate, pulling my hair out re-reading Bakerella's recipes, and eating cake pop/bites that went terribly wrong - don't be mistaken, even if they look good in the photos, notice there's never more than 5 or 6! The rest already crashed and burned, and ended up in someones tummy (I can think of worse things though, cake is still cake whether it looks good or not! A rose is still a rose, and all that)

So first up, I decided to try an alternative to cake - inspiration came from a friend at work who has a healthy obsession with peanut butter. These are just crushed up vanilla wine biscuits (great if you need to vent! Nothing better than a big rolling pin and an innocent bag of biscuits) mixed with peanut butter instead of frosting. For future reference, use SMOOTH not crunchy - crunchy was all we had, and it made the mixing process a little frustrating.



Another experiment in flavour - I made lemon pudding one night, and decided on a whim to see what that would do. The lemon-white chocolate mix worked out, but unfortunately the lemon pudding was quite dense, and made these babies a LITTLE hard to eat for something so small and light-looking. Don't get me wrong - they've been well and truly demolished by now, but next time I'll go with a lighter fluffier recipe.

These ones were directly inspired by http://www.bakerella.com/hamm-and-potatoes/, who was directly inspired by Disney's http://family.go.com/disney/pkg-disney-character-fun/pkg-disney-pixar-toy-story/

Mine certainly didn't go as successfully - in America coloured chocolate melts must be readily available, but here I could only find baby pink or baby blue, neither of which was the colour I needed. So I made this colour myself from a mix of milk and white chocolate melts, and that ended up with the mix being really thick and difficult to dip in - unsure why. Either way, I got this one cute fellow and a whole lot of m&ms and tic tacs to fill the void.

Last but not least, this happy little bunch of original chocolate pop/bites.

Well, some of them are happy. One of them is so lax about life that he’s sound asleep. But one of them, one of them isn’t sure he likes where this is going….

I think he smells a rat. Almost looks like he might cry as he watches Trina approaching…

His worst fears have come to light!! There’s no escaping now……

And it’s over.

Not to worry – no cake bites were wasted in the making of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment